Thursday, September 19, 2013

Swimming With Sharks Anyone?

Just a few short weeks ago I was swimming in the ocean down in Long Beach Long Island. It was the perfect beach day; that is it was, until a 10 foot shark washed up on the beach a mere quarter mile from where we were. At first I freaked out…who wouldn't you?! Then I learned it was a basking shark and I calmed down. Everyone asked how I could be so calm and I explained everything to them. Did you know that basking sharks do not have any teeth? In fact their diet consists primarily of krill (the same thing whales eat) and that they are named such because they like to swim near the surface of the water and soak up the sun? Hardly a vicious creature I would say! In fact, that is one if the reasons they are common to injuries from boaters and the like. Though it did look impressive, it was nothing to fear, however, very few people chose to go back in the water after that! 



Check out these articles about my shark and other shark sightings on Long Island!!!

A little more information on Basking Sharks...


See, no teeth!!!

Still intimidating though!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is wild...a basking shark washed up dead on the beach. Did any scientists diagnosis a potential cause of death? Maybe just the nice soupy Long Beach water...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wild...a basking shark washed up dead on the beach. Did any scientists diagnosis a potential cause of death? Maybe just the nice soupy Long Beach water...

    ReplyDelete